Keep your family safe from holiday fires
December 14, 2013
Remember, when decorating your Christmas trees, always use safe lights, listed by a testing laboratory, and follow the manufacturer's instructions on how to use tree lights. Any string of lights with worn, frayed or broken cords or loose bulbs connections should not be used.
Some other tips from Hanover Fire/EMS:
- Use electric lights on a metal tree with caution; shorts may occur.
- Always unplug tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
- Never use candles to decorate a tree and place candles at least 36-inches from tree branches.
- Keep your live trees moist by giving them plenty of water daily.
- When purchasing an artificial tree, be sure it is fire-retardant.
- Make sure the tree is at least 36 inches from any heat source.
- Keep children & pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
- Avoid using candles as part of your decorating.
- If you use them, make sure they are in stable holders, on stable surfaces and placed where they cannot be easily knocked over.
- Keep candles away from combustible materials.
- NEVER leave the house with candles burning.
- Unattended cooking is the leading cause of residential fires in the United States. When cooking remember to keep an eye on the range.
- Provide plenty of large, deep ashtrays and check them frequently.
- After a party, check between and under upholstery and cushions and inside of trash cans for cigarette butts that may be smoldering.
A MUST, have working smoke detectors installed on every level of your home, test them monthly and keep them clean and equipped with fresh batteries at all times. Know when and how to call for help. REMEMBER, in the event of a fire in your home get out and stay out! Call 911 from a neighbor's home or your cell phone.
Hanover Fire/EMS wishes you a safe and festive holiday season. Should you have any questions please call the Fire Marshal's office at 365-4850.