7516 County Complex Rd.
Hanover, VA 23069-0470
Phone: (804) 365-6040
Fax: (804) 365-6247
Requirements for Making
Application for Building Permit
For more information on Building Permit Applications you can email:
- A completed Building Permit Application.
- Contractors must furnish a copy of their valid Virginia
- Applicants not required by law to be licensed as contractors
must submit a written statement, supported by an affidavit,
that he/she is not subject to licensure as a contractor,
subcontractor or owner-developer. This statement is available
in the Building inspector’s Office.
- A completed Asbestos Certification Form is required for
renovation, demolition and reroofing work performed on structures
built prior to January 1, 1985.
- If the building will use a private sewage disposal system
and/or a private water source, a completed Commonwealth of
VA Application for Sewage Disposal and/or Water Supply Permit
shall be submitted with the Building Permit application.
If the Sewage disposal and/or Water Supply permit has already
been filed with the Health Department simply fill in the
Health Permit number on the Building Permit Application.
Residential (in addition to the requirements for all permits)
- Two sets of plans and specifications must accompany every
building permit application.
- Three plot plans showing the location of the proposed structure
on the lot with all setbacks dimensioned.
- Completed Chesapeake
Bay Preservation Act Program and Erosion & Sediment
Control Program application form.
- Application will not be accepted if the subdivision or
new section of subdivision has not been recorded.
- If applications are incomplete, they will not be accepted.
(square footage, GPIN numbers, district, etc.).
- If the dwelling is to be constructed on a lot requiring
a cash proffer payment, a copy of the payment receipt is
Commercial (in addition to the requirements for all permits)
- Two sets of the plans.
- One copy of the specifications.
- One copy of the calculations.
- Two copies of the soil report.
- A Statement of Special Inspections, prepared by the registered
design professional of record for the project, must be
submitted with all building permit applications for commercial
building designs that require the practice of professional
engineering or architecture. This is a mandatory requirement
of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building This statement
shall include a complete list of materials and work requiring
special inspection in accordance with the VUSBC, the inspections
to be performed and a list of the individuals, approved agencies
and firms intended to be retained by the owner to conduct
such inspections. (4 copies)
- An approved Site Plan or proof that the site plan, variance
or conditional use permit is approved.
- A completed Department of Public Utilities fixture count
form, including other Department of Public Utilities Building Permit Requirements.
- If applications are incomplete, they will not be accepted
(Construction Type, Use Group, square footage, GPIN numbers,
district, traffic zone, etc.).