Trade Or Fictitious Name Information
Certificates of Assumed or Fictitious Name are filed at the Reception Desk in the Clerk's Office on the 2nd floor of the Circuit Courthouse, 7507 Library Drive, Hanover, Virginia, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hanover County Government Complex Map and Directions. For the best service, visit the Clerk's Office no later than 4:15 p.m. The door to the Courthouse automatically locks at 4:30 p.m.
The staff of the Clerk’s Office can provide information regarding filing instructions, but it cannot give legal advice. The Virginia State Bar’s Resources for the Public web page has information about finding a lawyer, if you need help.
Notify the Clerk’s Office at HanoverCC@courts.state.va.us, if you have questions about this web page or if any of the links do not work.
Contact Information – Assumed or Fictitious Names
This section is not a complete review of the law concerning assumed or fictitious names. Familiarize yourself with the requirements of the law that addresses the transaction of business in Virginia under an assumed name, including Virginia Code §§59.1-69 through 59.1-76
VA Code §59.1-69 states the requirements for persons, partnerships, limited liability companies or corporations filing certificates of assumed or fictitious name.
Depending upon the type of business entity, you may be required by VA Code §59.1-70 or other Virginia statute to file a certified copy of the original certificate filed in Hanover County with the State Corporation Commission. The Corporation Commission’s telephone number is (804) 371-9733 and its website address is www.state.va.us/scc.
VA Code §59.1-75 sets out penalties for violating VA Code §59.1-69.
Instructions for filing an Assumed or Fictitious Name Certificate
The Virginia Judicial System website has a form Certificate of Assumed Name (CC-1050) and Instructions for use by filers of certificates of assumed name. Print the Supreme Court’s revisable PDF forms by using the "Print for Submission to Court" button at the top of the form (rather than by using the print feature of your internet browser). The Clerk’s Office generally cannot accept forms that have gray bars over any fields.
If the form is handwritten, it must be printed in black ink.
Use of the Supreme Court’s form is optional, but all certificates must contain the required information.
Here are some points to remember:
- All signatures must be acknowledged before a notary or deputy clerkAll partners must sign a certificate of assumed name filed on behalf of a partnership.
- Provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope so that the filed certificate and any certified copies requested can be returned to you.
- The filing fee is $10.00 payable in cash, check or money order. Checks should be made payable to Hanover Circuit Court Clerk. If you want a certified copy of the certificate for filing with the State Corporation Commission, or for any other reason, add $2.00 for the certificate fee and $.50 for each page copied (Ex. A certified copy of a five page certificate will cost $2.00 for the clerk’s certification plus $.50 for each page for a total of $4.50). Do not send cash through the mail. The Clerk's Office is not responsible for loss of any cash payment sent by mail.
- Mail the completed certificate form and payment to:
Hanover County Circuit Court Clerk’s Office
Attention: Assumed or Fictitious Names
Post Office Box 39
Hanover, VA 23069
Hand deliveries should be made to the Clerk’s Office Reception Desk on the 2nd floor of the Circuit Courthouse, 7507 Library Drive, Hanover, Virginia, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Hanover County Government Complex Map and Directions
- Prior to filing your certificate you may check the alphabetized index of assumed or fictitious names in the Clerk’s Office’s to determine if the trade name that you selected is already in use.
Discontinued Use of an Assumed or Fictitious Name
Those wanting to file notice of discontinued use of an assumed or fictitious name should consult an attorney or other source of information for guidance.