|Standards||Lateral Entry Program|
Standards Of Employment
The selection process utilized by the Hanover County Sheriff's Office provides the Sheriff and his Command Staff with sufficient information on a candidate to ensure that only the most qualified are selected to serve our citizens. However, given the nature of the law enforcement profession and the high standards of the Hanover County Sheriff's Office there are some prior actions that would preclude employment with our agency.
Those prior actions would include:
- Any felony conviction
- Any domestic assault conviction
- Any recent and/or excessive marijuana use
- Any illegal use of schedule I or II drugs; such as, cocaine, heroin, LSD, anabolic steroids...
- Any adult driving under the influence of alcohol/drug conviction
- Two written test scores below cutoff
There are no limitations on reapplications as long as no criteria for disqualification are established.
The absence of these prohibited acts would qualify an applicant for consideration. Candidates for employment will be evaluated in many areas including, an aptitude test, an occupational simulation course, a comprehensive background investigation, a medical and a psychological evaluation.
We thank you for your interest in our agency. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility please contact our Personnel Unit at (804) 365-6230.